Saturday, January 22, 2011

Design Developement

The design process varies slightly from person to person. For myself the evolution starts as soon as I receive a new project. Sometimes I have ideas swirling around in my brain instantly, other times I have to think harder about what I want to accomplish before a solution becomes evident. Here is how I go through the process of getting a design completed.

Getting the initial ideas:
- Read the brief
- Make notes about any ideas that happen off the bat or about specific requirements the client has
- Do thumbnails of concepts ( I like to make thumbnails before I do any research so that I can get these ideas out of my head before I am influenced by other designs)
- Research the subject and look at related design pieces
- Make more thumbnails

Designing:
- At this point I proceed to the computer to make a rough digital design
- Refine design
- Do test prints
- Walk away from the design for a day or two if possible
- Refine design
- Print (assuming it’s print work)

If I hit a creative road block:
- do other projects and come back to it later
- go for a walk, or do yoga (some sort of physical activity)
- research both similar and completely unrelated design for inspiration
- Go out with friends to distract myself from the problem at hand

No comments:

Post a Comment